courtesy the linda vestal Linda Vestal corrects the joint of words salmon in she son’s dictionary. She proclaimed, right or wrong, the in her house, the l in salmon would not be silent.

You are watching: Why is the l in salmon silent


My son, Christopher, has always loved taking brand-new information he has just learned to test me to view if I recognize it, too.


Often, the turns right into a pretty discussion around the topic together I expose that what he has just learned is not brand-new to me. That is fun to watch the expression on his confront as the grasps a brand-new understanding of points as his mental expands.


Slowly, though, I started to watch the totality picture. To provide my boy an education and learning was to disclose my very own lapses in knowledge.


In particular, he liked to allude out any kind of grammatical errors. If i misspoke, mispronounced other or provided a wrong verb tense, my son would announce, “Incorrect grammar.”


My mother would fry salmon patties in the frying pan because that us. As children, we would certainly take the ketchup (another one of those pesky words) to make smiley faces on optimal of them before enjoying every bite. Ns was acquainted with the fish and the word.


My son pertained to me sooner or later wearing a “know-it-all” grin through his dictionary open to display me i was pronouncing salmon wrong. He pointed out that the together was actually silent. His intent most likely was chaste enough, though ns am certain he derived great pleasure in crushing my ego through his newfound knowledge.


Sometime ~ this, we discovered ourselves watching some nature mirrors on TV, and also each had actually some referral to salmon. Every time, the narrator would pronounce words with a silent L. That was enough to journey me batty. Mine teenage son simply grinned in ~ me.


I finally had enough. I told him come go gain his dictionary. I opened it and also found words salmon. Ns looked at the pronunciation provided. I looked up the word at the Merriam-Webster internet site.


The site has an audio pronunciation guide, and also once again, ns heard the word salmon pronounced there is no the l sound.


With a grin, yet somewhat serious, i proclaimed the in our house, ideal or wrong, we would certainly be express the together in salmon.


I take it his dictionary and also made a couple of changes, in ink, that reflected how we would be speak this word in our family. He could no longer use his dictionary versus me with this word.


I found an informal poll digital that claimed 86 percent the the world pronounced salmon v a silent L, while the other 14 percent pronounced salmon simply as the appears, through sounding out the L.


Apparently, a pair of century ago, the word salmon to be spelled samoun in the English language. There was no l in the word, and also so the word was pronounced together it appeared.


About the time, some human being were rallying for words come reflect your Latin origins. Salmon was among those words. In Latin, words for fish is salmo, and also the together is pronounced. Also though the English word spelling readjusted from samoun come salmon, the pronunciation remained the same, making the together silent.


We are enabled to pronounce the together in Salmonella yet are not supposed to express the l in the fish, salmon.


No wonder that is claimed that English is a hard language to master if it is not your indigenous tongue. Also some the us native speaking citizens finish up scratching our top from time to time together we kind out the rule of good speech and also spelling.


Nevertheless, I have actually a hard time changing how i say the word. Come say it without pronouncing the L just doesn’t sound right. It sounds favor a foreign language come me. Salmon will constantly be served with an together that ns pronounce no matter exactly how incorrect mine grammar might be in act so, also if I have to endure mine son’s laughter in the process.

See more: What Does It Mean When A Jalapeno Turns Red ? Do Jalapeno Peppers Turn Red


Linda Vestal is a wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend living in Gibsonville. Contact her v comments or story concepts at lindavestal
* i understand and agree the registration ~ above or use of this site constitutes agreement to the user agreement and also privacy policy.

*

*

*


*

courtesy that linda vestal Linda Vestal corrects the together of the word salmon in her son’s dictionary. She proclaimed, right or wrong, that in she house, the together in salmon would certainly not it is in silent.