Chlorine is a yellow-green gas in ~ room temperature. It is very reactive element and a strong oxidising agent: amongst the elements, it has actually the highest possible electron affinity and the third-highest electronegativity, behind only oxygen and also fluorine.

You are watching: Number of protons neutrons and electrons in chlorine

While perhaps finest known because that its duty in giving clean drink water, chlorine chemistry also helps carry out energy-efficient building materials, electronics, fiber optics, solar power cells, 93 percent of life-saving pharmaceuticals, 86 percent of crop protection compounds, medical plastics, and much more.

Elemental chlorine is commercially created from brine by electrolysis, mostly in the chlor-alkali process.


Protons and also Neutrons in Chlorine

*
Chlorine is a chemical facet with atom number 17 which way there are 17 proton in its nucleus. Total variety of protons in the cell nucleus is referred to as the atomic number of the atom and also is given the symbol Z. The total electrical charge of the nucleus is because of this +Ze, wherein e (elementary charge) equates to to 1,602 x 10-19 coulombs.

The complete number of neutrons in the nucleus of an atom is called the neutron number of the atom and also is provided the symbol N. Neutron number plus atomic number equals atomic mass number: N+Z=A. The difference in between the neutron number and also the atom number is recognized as the neutron excess: D = N – Z = A – 2Z.

For secure elements, there is commonly a range of steady isotopes. Isotopes are nuclides that have the same atomic number and also are thus the same element, but differ in the number of neutrons. Mass number of common isotopes of Chlorine are 35; 37. 

Main isotope of Chlorine

Chlorine has two steady isotopes, 35Cl and also 37Cl. These space its just two herbal isotopes emerging in quantity, with 35Cl comprising 76% of natural chlorine and 37Cl consisting of the remaining 24%.The longest-lived radioactive isotope is 36Cl, which has a half-life the 301,000 years. All various other isotopes have half-lives under 1 hour, numerous less 보다 one second.

Chlorine-35 is created of 17 protons, 18 neutrons, and also 17 electrons.

Chlorine-37 is written of 17 protons, 20 neutrons, and also 17 electrons.

See more: What Is The Difference Between Methodist And Baptist, Methodist Vs Baptist

Chlorine-36 is written of 17 protons, 19 neutrons, and also 17 electrons. Trace amounts of radioactive 36Cl exist in the environment, in a ratio of around 7×10−13 to 1 with secure isotopes. 36Cl is created in the atmosphere by spallation of 36Ar by interactions with cosmic ray protons.