With the multitude the appliances we need for cooking, sometimes there is not enough sockets come accommodate castle all. For part people, the systems is come plug this appliances right into an extension cord – the most common culprit gift the microwave. However, is it for sure to do so?Microwaves require a many of energy to run and thus a continuous extension cord may not be able to take top top the job and be a fire hazard to boot. That is why I normally do no recommend plugging your microwave into an expansion cord for safety and security reasons. However, you deserve to use an expansion cord if (1) that is the right gauge, and also (2) if it has actually a three-prong socket.However, the is still better to stick on the safe side. In this article, ns will explain the feasible repercussions of using an extension cord for her microwave.
You are watching: Can you use an extension cord with a microwave
Why you shouldn’t plug a refrigerator into an extension cord1. Fire Hazard2. The voltage autumn can damage your microwave ovenThings to consider when to buy an extension cord for your microwave oven1. Gauge2. Length3. Rated Wattage4. PlugConclusion
Why you do not do it plug a refrigerator right into an extension cordIt is generally embraced that girlfriend shouldn’t usage an extension cord for high power consuming appliances favor air conditioners, refrigerators, and microwaves. Here are the reasons why this is so:
1. Fire HazardThere is a factor why microwaves space designed v a short and stocky it is provided cord – it’s due to the fact that they require so lot power, diluent cords won’t have the ability to handle it. Expansion cords have a lighter gauge (thickness) compared to the stock cord the a microwave and also as well together the wiring within a continual house socket.Remember that the wattage of most microwaves go previous 1,000W – much more than continuous extension cords space rated for. If girlfriend plug her microwave in an extension cord. It can reason it to overheat and catch fire. Come ensure safety, you have to plug your microwave in a grounded residence socket.
2. The voltage autumn can damages your microwave ovenThe length and also thickness that the cable affects how much electrical resistance it offers. Basically, the longer and also thinner the is, the an ext resistance over there is (remember why microwaves have actually short and also thick wires?); this reasons voltage drop along the way.This voltage drop will eventually damage your microwave. According to Ohm’s law, voltage and also amperes are inversely proportional – the lower the voltage, the greater the amperage. The more amps flowing, the much more heat is produced. This heat can burnout her microwave’s parts and also reduce that is lifespan.
Things to take into consideration when buying an expansion cord for your microwave ovenIt is always much more advisable to use a permanent socket for her microwave – however we acquire it though, points are rarely ideal. Friend may have no selection but to plug her microwave into an expansion cord.Here room some accuse you require to understand when buying an expansion cord for her microwave. While it is not finest practice to do so, it will certainly make your residence safer contrasted to using any type of old cord you see lying around.
1. GaugeAs stated, the gauge describes the thickness that the wire. It’s traditional unit of measure up is AWG (American cable Gauge).Rather counter-intuitively, the reduced the AWG number, the higher the gauge.
2. LengthAs said earlier, together the cord it s okay longer, its present carrying volume gets lower. To alleviate the resistance (and for this reason voltage drop), choose an extension cord that is short and also thick similar to the cord the comes with the microwave.
3. Rated WattageChCheck the specs of the expansion cord to watch its rated wattage. Never go over this number, together if you overload it, the will start a fire.You should likewise check your microwave’s rated wattage – you have the right to see that in the rating brand at the earlier of the unit. Alternatively, you deserve to search for it in the manufacturer’s website.
4. PlugYour microwave comes with a three-prong grounded plug, for this reason you should additionally buy a grounded extension cord. The 3rd pin is known as the grounding pin. Do not eliminate this as this is for your own safety; in case of a breakdown in the electronics, the ground connection pin delivers the excess power to the ground – calculation it harmless.If the grounding pin to be taken off, climate the excess electricity will go to the next best conductor – in this case, the the steel body of her microwave stove – in order to electrocuting whoever touches it.
ConclusionYou deserve to use expansion cords for most tiny kitchen appliances, but for a microwave? avoid it; it’s better to err ~ above the side of caution.Do her research very first when buying an extension cord for her microwave. Not all cords are created equal; some can be an ext harmful 보다 helpful.
See more: What Does Tk Stand For In Star Wars : Stormtroopers' Tk Numbers Explained
Miguel Mores functioned for 5 years as a member the the product administration team for a home appliance company in the Philippines. He started civicpride-kusatsu.net come answer the most common customer questions that he has actually encountered during his time in the industry. He now works in the digital marketing field and manages a little online bookstore top top the side.
Categories selection & Kitchen Appliances tags cooking, expansion cords, kitchen, microwave ovensPost navigation
Leave a Comment cancel replyCommentNameEmailWebsite conserve my name, email, and website in this web browser for the next time i comment. Δ