Changing her Jeep"s oil is a pretty straightforward job the anyone have the right to do at house in the driveway. Act it you yourself not only saves girlfriend a couple of bucks, yet gives friend a opportunity to visually examine other things on her Jeep at the same time. And also when you execute it yourself, you can rest easy learning the job is done right and with the precise parts or fluids of her choosing. Depending on your Jeep, whether you"ve installed a lifted supsension or not, you may even be able to tackle this project without any type of jacks and jack stands or driveway ramps. And is some instances you can also do this task without elevating your Jeep also if the suspension is completely stock. I"ll be utilizing a lift, just to make the project of taking pictures easier, but really all you require for this task is a few hand tools.
You are watching: 2004 jeep grand cherokee oil change
What You will Need
6 quarts that 5W-30 (Preferred) or 10W-30 (depending top top the temperature range anticipated prior to your following oil change) Ratchet13mm SocketOil Filter SocketDrain PanShop Towels / paper Towels--- not crucial - but valuable ---Rubber GlovesFunnel
Before functioning on her Jeep, always park ~ above a level surface, placed it in park and set the parking break. It"s always a an excellent idea to chock the wheel to be extra safe whenever functioning under her Jeep.
Before beginning to readjust the oil, operation the engine because that a couple of minutes to warm the engine oil. This will aid the oil circulation easier and also quicker.
According come the owner"s manual, 5W-30 is the preferred oil for both the 4.7L and also the 4.7L High calculation engines and also is best for environmental operating temperatures listed below 100ºF. If you live in one area the sees outside temperatures over 100ºF climate you should use 10W-30.
1. Remove the oil filler lid to assist allow all the oil to drainpipe from the engine better.
2. Remove the oil filler baffle from within the oil filler neck.
3. Using a 13mm socket, remove the drainpipe bolt from the bottom that the oil pan.
4. Allow the oil to drain into a pan. Save some document towels nearby by to clean up any kind of spills or drips and also to wipe off any type of oil that may splash onto your exhaust. ~ the oil has actually finished draining, replace the drain bolt and also torque come 25 ft lbs. (Hand tightening functions perfectly fine because that the drain bolt if you don"t have a torque wrench.)
5. Using your oil filter wrench, eliminate the old oil filter.
The Mopar oil filter illustrates the procedures for installing your brand-new oil filter.
6. Clean and inspect the oil filter sealing surface ar to be sure there"s no corrosion or debris the may reason a negative seal on the brand-new filter.
7. Lubricate the seal on your brand-new oil filter through a few drops that clean engine oil.
8. Install the brand-new filter on come the engine block. Hand tighten the filter.
9. Using an oil filter wrench, tighten the filter 1 more revolution previous hand tight.
10. Using a funnel, refill the engine through oil. The 4.7L engine needs 6 Quarts the oil. If you"re using a 5 Quart jug, don"t forget to include one additional quart.
11. Clean off and re-install the oil filler baffle that you gotten rid of earlier.
12. Clean off the oil cap, then lubricate the oil seal top top the cap through a few drops the clean motor oil. This will assist make removing your oil cap throughout your following oil change much easier.
See more: What Does The Name Gisselle Mean Ings, Religion, Origin Details
13. The overhead Electronic car Information center or EVIC for quick keeps monitor of once it"s time to finish an oil change. Be certain to reset the company interval ~ completing her oil adjust so you"ll be reminded once it"s time to change it again. Through the Jeep in park (the key can it is in in the on place with or without the engine running) push the STEP button until the business message shows up on screen. Then press and also hold the RESET switch for a few seconds. The EVIC will certainly beep and reset. The EVIC deserve to be programmed come different service intervals relying on your driving actions by utilizing the MENU switch when the Jeep is in park.